Grey Garden Blouse

I have finally sewn my first blouse! It was quite a daunting project to take on because I do not fit into any standard sizes. But once I started grading the Wenlan Blouse from BurdaStyle, and really took the time to absorb pattern construction, it made perfect sense.

My initial blouse muslin was not flattering at all. Coupling the high neckline with a yoke that ended above my bust line was absolutely awful. I also didn’t think that I could pull off the fluttery sleeves. So, I lowered the neckline, elongated the yoke and found sleeves that I thought would be both suitable and comfy.

The first sleeves that I drafted were tent sleeves, in a similar feel to the original sleeves. Sometimes I get a little too generous with my measurements and add a bit too much ease to my patterns. The tent sleeves looked like huge bells, and were pretty tight in the underarms. After a few more botched attempts I discovered a handy-dandy tutorial for Drafting Sleeves for Basic Bodice Block, and it worked like a charm.

My complaints about this pattern variation are few. I was so excited about adding defined pleats to the front, that I added too much fabric. This makes the garment seem a bit frumpy from the side view, but perhaps a fabric with a bit more drape would solve that problem. Also, if I make another version, I will try a swayback adjustment to add some definition to the back bodice.

All things considered, I think this is a wonderful first attempt at a blouse.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>